Thursday, September 17, 2026

holes in the wall, peace in my soul (a.k.a f*ck that deposit!)


Hi besties!

First off, thank you to everyone who has commented on my page and/or followed me! I’ve only been in the blogging world for a short time, but everyone has been so sweet and kind. I’ve loved sharing a space with so many interesting people!

But I’ve realized I have a problem: in order to be a blogger, I have to, you know… blog! I’m not sure how often I’ll be able to post, but I’m aiming for at least once a week. To get some content out, I’ve decided to write about what’s been keeping me so busy lately: redecorating my apartment!


My boyfriend and I have lived in our apartment for a little over a year, and I love (almost) everything about it. We just renewed our lease, so I’ve been thinking about how to truly make ourselves feel settled in our space.

Luckily, we both lived independently before moving in together, so we already had most of the furniture and essentials we needed. Within a month, I’d say the apartment was about 90% furnished and decorated. My man isn’t really into interior design, therefore I’ve taken the lead on creating our shared space. However, he has plenty of input and usually ends up helping me with whatever new project I feel called to tackle (which is a lot, lol).

My inspo for the patio!

This summer, I realized there were quite a few things I wanted to upgrade or completely change. For example, I love sitting outside when the weather is nice, so we bought some dirt-cheap patio furniture when we first moved in. After a year, I have to admit: the chairs kinda suck, and I wish we’d invested in a nicer set. I also wanted to give the balcony some personality, so I spent an entire afternoon adding faux grass and decor. Honestly, I love how it turned out. If only I could find some decent chairs!

Most of my other upgrades have been smaller, like hanging new artwork or giving my office desk a makeover. But this week, I tackled my number one enemy: curtains.

When we first moved in, my boyfriend and I bought some generic curtains and threw them up so we wouldn’t have to wait too long for privacy. The results? A mess. They were thin, looked cheap, and weren’t even the right size for our windows!

I also didn’t feel like waiting for him to get off work, which means I decided to install the curtain rods myself. Turns out, that’s NOT a one-person job (at least not for me). Naturally, we ended up with crooked, very un-cute curtains. But we shrugged, said “good enough,” and went about our lives.

After a year of living with these ugly, crooked curtains, my brain finally said, “Hey, you know it doesn’t HAVE to look like that, right?” 

An example of the curtains!

So I listened, did some research, and bought higher-quality curtains that actually fit our windows. For the bedroom, I also decided to try a double set of curtains after seeing some gorgeous inspiration on TikTok. Of course, that meant taking down the old rod and installing a double rod instead.

Initially, I tried to find a renter-friendly way to make this upgrade. Then I thought, “Screw it!” Literally. Let’s put some holes in the walls! I can always patch them up when we eventually move. This is my home for the foreseeable future, so why not make it comfortable?

For the record, I do try to be as renter-friendly as possible. Most of my wall art is hanging on by Command strips and a prayer. But after years of renting, I’ve realized that being renter-friendly can really limit how much you personalize your space, especially when you’re worried about damaging the walls or losing your security deposit.

So, I broke the rules a little and used screws and a drill to install my new curtains. It took an embarrassingly long time (about three hours, yikes!), but I did it! Well, mostly. I tried to tackle it on my own again, but eventually called in reinforcements in the form of my romantic partner, lmao.

I absolutely adore the results and feel one step closer to my dream space. Watching my apartment slowly become the embodiment of my Pinterest board has made me feel not only physically settled but emotionally settled, too. As a homebody, having a space that reflects everything I want in an ideal home means so much to me. I couldn’t decorate my last place the way I wanted to, so getting to do it now feels like a dream come true—even if it means risking my security deposit!

Now that my biggest project is out of the way, I’ll try to spend less time decorating and more time blogging. Hopefully, I managed to make something as mundane as new curtains sound interesting, haha.

TTYL!

xoxo,

Eryn

No comments:

Post a Comment